Date of Birth: February 14, 1970
Place of Birth: Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila
Residence: Olongapo City
Civil Status: Married to Dunia Valenzuela, a Brazilian yoga instructor and former model
Children: Gabriel , Santiago, and Barbara
Official website: www.angkapatiranparty.com
Facebook Account: https://www.facebook.com/jcdelosreyes
JC de los Reyes’s presidential bid came as a surprise even to his family who are supporting his uncle, fellow presidential bet and Sen. Richard Gordon. In the 2007 polls, he was the lone winner among the local and national bets of the Ang Kapatiran Party, a non-traditional and church-based political party. He is a two-term councilor in Olongapo City.
Unlike his uncle Sen. Gordon, De los Reyes is not a veteran in Philippine politics but he comes from a long line of politicians—his grandfather is Olongapo’s first elected mayor; his grandmother, who first convinced him to run, is a former mayor of Olongapo and an assemblywoman. Olongapo’s incumbent mayor is James Gordon, Jr., the brother of Sen. Gordon.
On political dynasty: Although he came from a family of politicians, De los Reyes swore to break up political dynasties. “For 23 years, the provision (against political dynasties) has been violated. I will communicate this to the whole bureaucracy and to the people so that finally we’ll have the implementing rules to give life to this provision,” he said during a presidential forum sponsored by the Inquirer.
On transparency of political parties: In a heated debate between Liberal Party standard-bearer Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, De los Reyes urged the fellow presidential aspirant’s party to be more accountable and transparent. “I’m not questioning LP’s moral authority but I’m questioning the propriety of the kind of politics they’re conducting. One person believes this, but it is not adhered by the membership. There are no clear and specific aspirations.”
- De los Reyes comes from both the green and blue side of the fence, finishing grade school in Ateneo de Manila University and secondary education at the De La Salle Santiago-Zobel.
- He studied in the University of the Philippines Diliman and graduated with a degree in Public Administration.
- He went on to take another degree at the Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio, USA. He graduated with a degree in Theology.
- De los Reyes also graduated with a Bachelor of Laws in Saint Louis University in Baguio City in 2005.
1993, ACADEME: De los Reyes taught Philosophy at the University of Asia and the Pacific under the tutelage of Fr. Joseph de Torre, a Spanish priest who has written extensively on the social teachings of the Church.
1995, LOCAL POLITICS (CITY COUNCILOR): He first entered politics as a councilor under the Nacionalista Party. He ran alongside family members. He would later become an active member and advocate of the National Renewal Movement and the Ang Kapatiran National Political Party or the Alliance for the Common Good, a registered political party.
2007, LOCAL POLITICS (CITY COUNCILOR): De los Reyes was re-elected councilor under the Ang Kapatiran Party.
Present, NGO: De los Reyes is executive director of Breaking the Yoke of Poverty Foundation, which oversees Jubilee Homes for the Poor, a housing project for 60 families in Olongapo City. He is also the lead animator of Solidarity Philippines, an organization that pushes for the social justice agenda of the Catholic Church.
- Heads the informal project Justice Crusade, a free legal assistance program that has been successful among his constituents.
- Started the National Renewal Movement with Ang Kapatiran Party founder Nandy Pacheco and Willy Nakar
- His parents are active member of Pro-Life Philippines, a non-profit organization that addressed issues “pertaining o the inherent value and dignity of human life.” His father is a former executive director of the Population Commision, which pushed for a three-child family norm in 1981. He turned pro-life after his 10-year-old daughter was murdered by a drug addict.
- Owner, Legobrick Systems and Designs, a company that manufactures clay and bricks for homes
–With additional research from Maria Althea Teves, Newsbreak
Sources: www.politicalarena.com, www.verafiles.org, various news reports