MANILA - A Filipino fisherman and three Indonesians remain missing after a bridge in Taiwan collapsed onto several fishing boats earlier this week, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Thursday.
The incident left 2 Filipinos dead and 5 others among those injured. The wounded have been treated and given cash assistance, the DFA said in a statement.
The Manila Economic and Cultural Office will repatriate the remains of the fatalities and will continue to coordinate with local authorities in the search for the third Filipino fisherman, it added.
CCTV footage captured the moment the 140-meter long single-arch bridge tumbled down onto at least 3 fishing boats as a petrol tanker that was crossing also plunged into the water on Taiwan's east coast early Tuesday.
It was not immediately known what caused the collapse, which crushed three boats and set the tanker ablaze in the town of Suao.
The rare incident shocked many in Taiwan, which is regularly hit by earthquakes and typhoons and has high building standards, prompting authorities to launch a review of all old bridges.
The government has set up a task force to investigate, with President Tsai Ing-wen vowing not to "evade responsibilities."