6 more Pinoys evacuated from Libya

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 06 2019 10:46 AM

MANILA - Six more Filipinos and a Thai national have been evacuated from conflict-stricken Libya, the Philippine Embassy there said Tuesday.

In Facebook post, the embassy said the group, which includes the Thai national who "requested assistance" in leaving Tripoli, has been evacuated to Tunis and will depart for Manila on Wednesday.

A total of 99 Filipinos have been repatriated so far from Libya since fighting broke out between the eastern Libyan National Army and government forces in April, according to the embassy.

The foreign affairs department earlier raised Alert Level 4 in Libya, which calls for a mandatory evacuation of Filipinos, while the labor department has ordered a total ban on the deployment of workers to Libya.

The agency has several times urged some 1,000 Filipinos in the besieged capital to return home, but they are hesitant to leave because of salary concerns.