MANILA—A group of Filipino engineers in conflict-stricken Libya is confirmed safe from harm after days losing contact with the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, an envoy said Thursday.
Elmer Cato, the country's diplomatic representative to Libya, made the announcement on social media.
"After several days of trying, @PhinLibya was finally able to reestablish contact this afternoon with a group of Filipino engineers in [a] compound outside Tripoli near where heavy fighting has been taking place in past two months. All are safe and accounted for," Cato said.
Cato has repeatedly urged Filipinos in besieged areas to return to the Philippines or move to safer locations.
So far, only 70 out of 1,000 Filipinos have been repatriated from Libya since fighting broke out between the eastern Libyan National Army and government forces last month.