DFA urges Pinoys in Tripoli to come home

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 25 2019 12:11 AM

MANILA - The Department of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday reiterated its call for Filipinos in Tripoli to come home after another Filipino migrant worker was wounded in clashes.

In a statement, the DFA said the unnamed 45-year-old cook from Misamis Occidental was wounded in the foot after a mortar round struck their housing compound near the Tripoli International Airport.

The cook and his six Filipino co-workers have been evacuated from the area, according to DFA Undersecretary and Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato.

Another Filipino was slightly wounded last week in a rocket attack in a Tripoli neighborhood, where more than 200 Filipinos reside, Cato said.

Libya is home to around 1,000 Filipinos but only 11 Filipinos have been repatriated so far, the DFA said.

Aside from online appeals and telephone calls, Cato and Labor Attaché Adam Musa are visiting Filipinos in their workplaces to convince them to come home, the agency added.

Cato earlier said Libya may be placed "any time" under alert level 4, which warrants mandatory evacuation, from the current level 3 or voluntary repatriation phase.

At least 220 people have been killed and more than 1,000 wounded as eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) forces sought control of Tripoli from an internationally recognized government, according to the World Health Organization.

Fighting broke out on April 4 when military strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive to take Tripoli, seat of the UN-recognized Government of National Accord.