Death toll tops 200 in battle for Libya's Tripoli: WHO

Agence France-Presse

Posted at Apr 18 2019 08:33 PM

Two men stand at the scene of an overnight rocket attack, which no group claimed responsibility for so far, in the Libyan capital Tripoli on April 17, 2019. A number of rockets struck parts of Tripoli late yesterday after strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive earlier this month to take the Libyan capital, witnesses and AFP journalists said. At least seven powerful explosions rocked the city center. Shortly afterwards, witnesses said, columns of smoke were seen above the district of Abu Salim in the south of the city, which was hit by a number of rockets. Mahmud Turkia, AFP

At least 205 people have been killed and more than 900 wounded in the battle for control of the Libyan capital Tripoli, the World Health Organization said Thursday.

Fighting broke out on April 4 when military strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive to take Tripoli, seat of the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA).

Reporting at least 205 people dead and 913 wounded, WHO said it was keeping medical and surgical teams deployed at field hospitals near the front lines.

More than 25,000 people have been displaced by the clashes between GNA forces and Haftar's fighters south of Tripoli, including 4,500 over the previous 24 hours, the International Organization for Migration said Wednesday.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said it was the highest single-day increase in displacement.