HONG KONG (UPDATE) - A Filipino domestic worker patient in Hong Kong tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), officials said Tuesday, marking the first reported case involving a household worker in the city.
The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong said that upon receipt of official notification, it immediately sent a team to the hospital to check on the condition of the Filipino patient.
Seven Filipinos had been placed under quarantine in Hong Kong after being exposed to people who contracted the COVID-19. Three of them have been discharged.
As of Monday, the Chinese territory's Department of Health reported a total of 60 confirmed cases, including one fatality.
The announcement of the Filipino domestic worker's condition came on the same day that the Philippine government relaxed its travel ban on Hong Kong and Macau.
Under the revised policy, Filipino migrant workers, permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau, and Filipinos leaving abroad for study are already permitted to travel to the two Chinese special administrative regions, provided they sign a declaration of knowledge and understanding of risks involved.
Filipino citizens and their foreign spouses and/or children, as well as any holders of diplomatic visas are also allowed to fly in to the Philippines from Hong Kong and Macau. But they need to complete a 14-day quarantine period upon arrival.
Health authorities of Hong Kong said the current strategy of isolating cases, quarantine of close contacts and medical surveillance of other contacts will be maintained to curb the ongoing spread of the disease and prevent it from taking root locally.
Some 240,000 Filipinos work in Hong Kong.