MANILA - A Filipino-American businesswoman on Monday denied that she conspired with the International Criminal Court (ICC) to have President Rodrigo Duterte investigated for alleged crimes against humanity.
Duterte claimed over the weekend that he had prior knowledge of the ICC probe against him, based on the transcript of a phone conversation between philanthropist Loida Nicolas Lewis and an unnamed individual.
"President Duterte is spreading fake news once again," the US-based Lewis said in a statement.
"Whatever transcript of telephone conversation he claims to be from me is bogus and made-up," she said.
Duterte has repeatedly accused Lewis of plotting to oust him, which she denied.
The ICC last week said it was investigating Duterte for crimes allegedly committed under his administration’s war on drugs that has seen some 4,000 suspects killed.
"The murder of Filipinos based on suspicion of drug distribution, drug dealing and drug use is reprehensible and is against the laws of the Philippines and the Ten Commandment Of God," Lewis said.
The government has denied involvement in summary killings, saying that slain drug suspects had put up violent resistance against officers.
Human rights groups, however, say the police figures are understated and does not include killings by alleged state-sponsored "vigilantes."