MANILA - A Filipino domestic worker in Hong Kong was quarantined after being exposed to her employer's 2 guests who tested positive for the new coronavirus, the Philippine Consulate there said Sunday.
The female migrant worker, however, does not show any sign of infection, and is healthy, the consulate said.
"Given Hong Kong’s strict protocols and heightened emergency alert, even healthy individuals may be subjected to quarantine procedures if there is proof of contact," it said.
"Rest assured that the PCG (Philippine Consulate General) is in close contact with the HK Department of Health and will monitor her condition [and] render necessary assistance."
The consulate expressed hope the Filipina will remain healthy and be released eventually.
An earlier ABS-CBN News report said that according to the Philippine consulate, there were 238,000 Filipinos in Hong Kong as of October 2019, of whom, 219,000 are domestic workers and almost 20,000 are permanent residents.
Popular amusement parks Disneyland and Ocean Park in the Chinese territory on Sunday announced their temporary closure to help prevent the spread of the new strain of virus that emerged in Wuhan, China last month.
China has confirmed 1,975 cases of patients infected with the new coronavirus as of Jan. 25, while the death toll from the virus has risen to 56.
The virus has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as to the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada. --With Jan Yumul, ABS-CBN Hong Kong correspondent; Agence France-Presse and Reuters