MANILA - Communist rebels in Southern Mindanao denounced Thursday Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte's plan to exclude her city from the government's ceasefire with the left.
The President's daughter is "bent to rule with impunity," the National Democratic Front of the Philippines-Southern Mindanao said in a statement.
"Mayor Sara wrongly blames the alleged failure of the GRP (Government of the Republic of the Philippines)-NDFP talks to the 'countless criminal acts and treachery' of the revolutionary forces, specifically the NPA (New People's Army," it said.
"Yet, it had been the AFP’s (Armed Forces of the Philippines) fascist forays into hinterland areas that violated GRP’s ceasefire declarations which forced NPA units to engage in self-defense."
Duterte-Carpio has rejected negotiations with the communist rebels, referring to them as "terrorists." She instead touted the achievements of the local peace initiative Peace 911, saying it is a more effective strategy in winning back strongholds of rebels.
The group, however, said the local peace initiative only "deodorizes the horrid stories of harassment, psywar, forced and fake surrenders of civilians as NPA members and forced recruitment to CAFGU, Alamara and Bagani paramilitary forces."
"She seems to also be blissfully unaware of the fact that the 3 battalions she is coddling in Davao City are pocketing millions of public funds supposedly for salaries of CAFGU members or remuneration for mass fake surrenders," it said.
Duterte-Carpio's stand "clearly displays her charmed ruling class origin, bereft of the troubles of the working class," it added.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier hinted at the possible resumption of peace negotiations with communist rebels, which he officially terminated earlier this year. On Sunday, the government declared a ceasefire for the holiday season.