Fisherman found dead after eating 'buteteng isda'

Ria Galiste, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 26 2016 06:21 PM

Fisherman David Garcia was found dead inside his hut. Photo courtesy of Cabugao Police

A 61-year-old fisherman was found dead inside his hut in Barangay Dardarat in the town Cabugao, Ilocos Sur last Friday.

Authorities found white discharge from David Garcia's mouth.

According to his friend, Crisanto Galamgam, they had a drinking session on Thursday, when they ate grilled "buteteng isda" (puffer fish) as "pulutan."

He added that only Garcia ate the liver of the puffer fish.

After their drinking session, the victim allegedly complained that his mouth was itchy and twitching.

"Parang nanginginig daw 'yung bibig niya kaya 'yun, wala naman siyang ibang sinabi nung naghiwa-hiwalay kami, maliban doon sa matutulog na raw siya baka sakaling mawala at pupunta siya sa lamay ng kaibigan namin," Galamgam said.

Garcia's neighbors added that puffer fish can be eaten as long as it is properly cleaned and the bile is removed. The poison is believed to be found in the fish's bile.