MANILA—Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle urged Catholics to spread joy beyond the holiday season.
In his Christmas message, Tagle said he wishes that Filipino Catholics would “develop and spread a culture of Christian joy beyond Christmas.”
He urged Filipinos to let go of “false joys or thrills that excite us temporarily” and instead find joy in:
- saving peoples’ lives, rather than the shrill of destroying them;
- haring possessions, rather than the thrill of accumulating them;
- denying oneself, rather than the thrill of getting ahead of others;
- forgiving, rather than the thrill of retaliating;
- accepting people, rather than the thrill of isolating them.
“Let us nurture a culture of joy, not a culture of anger, bitterness and violence. We need good will that produces acts of kindness and goodness,” Tagle said.