The ANC Brief: Number coding confusion

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 21 2018 04:14 AM

An interesting twist in the Justice Department’s indictment of Kazuo Okada. And the MMDA clarifies and reclarifies the lifting of the number coding scheme. Here are the stories making the headlines on ANC today:

The ANC Brief: Number coding confusion 1

Kicking the can down the road
An official of the Road Board Beng Romero said she backs a proposal placing the controversial agency under the Office of the President. Meanwhile, Camarines Sur. Rep. Rolando Andaya is continuing his offensive against Budget Sec. Ben Diokno. The lawmaker challenged Diokno on the abolition of the Road Board. The president, probably the only official who can settle the issue, is still silent on the matter.

Irksome
The Palace is irked by a UN expert’s call to end attacks against human rights advocates. It also wants a clarification on the call. The President will be Villamor Airbase for the change of command of the Philippine Air Force at 4 p.m. ANC will be ready to air his speech.

Maintaining presence
Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana insisted that the military will continue to protect the country’s interest in the West Philippine Sea. He also said they will continue to improve facilities in the Spratlys and keep their presence in Ayungin Shoal

Gaming the game
An interesting twist in the indictment of Japanese gaming tycoon Kazuo Okada. Justice Sec. Menardo Guevarra has asked his son, who works a firm who filed estafa case against Okada, to resign from the company. This after the DOJ indicted Okada for estafa. The justice department was quick to dismiss any allegations of conflict of interest.

Confusion on ‘carmageddon’
Expect the worst traffic on the last weekend before Christmas. The MMDA had already said ‘carmageddon’ will be upon us on Friday. The agency said it was lifting the number coding scheme that bans cars on the road depending on the last digit of their license plates from Dec. 24 to Jan. 2. But MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago later said the lifting only applied to provincial buses and not private cars. In a second clarification, she flip-flopped and said the private cars were exempted from Dec. 24 to Jan. 2. But MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the scheme is lifted starting Dec. 21 for provincial buses and from Dec. 26 to 29 for private vehicles.