MANILA- Malacañang has dismissed Monday Vice President Leni Robredo's call for "calmer" negotiations with water distributors Maynilad and Manila Water, as the government sought to remove onerous provisions in the water concession contracts.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo advised Robredo to lay her hands off the issue as he noted that President Rodrigo Duterte's approach is "very effective."
"Huwag mo nang pasukin yung di mo alam," Panelo told Robredo, noting that the vice president appears to lack knowledge of the issue.
(Don't dip your fingers in what you don't know.)
"The President has made a stand and the stand appears to be very effective. She should know that," he added.
Robredo on Sunday backed the renegotiation of the government's contracts with the 2 water distributors but noted that there is a "calmer" approach to the issue.
"Mayroong paraan na mas mahinahon, dahil kapag hindi natin dinaan sa hinahon iyong usapin, ang dami nitong collateral damage," she said in her radio program "BISErbisyong LENI."
(There is a calmer way to do this. If we become too aggressive, there will be a lot of collateral damage.)
Duterte last week threatened a military takeover of the water distribution system in Metro Manila as he alleged that Filipinos are "milked by billions" because of the onerous concession deals.