MANILA - Militant groups expressed disappointment over news that the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) delayed the release of guidelines on labor contractualization.
The directive aimed at delivering on President Rodrigo Duterte's campaign promise to stop "endo" will be released on Dec. 21 instead of Thursday.
Members of the left-wing Kilusang Mayo Uno held a picket outside the DOLE office where they criticized Secretary Silvestre Bello III.
The government is looking at a "win-win" structure proposed by Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez, wherein workers will be regularized by third party labor contractors that deploy them.
This set-up will ensure the benefits and security of workers, even though they will still not have an employer-employee relationship with the company they work for.
But KMU secretary general Jerome Adonis said that this proposal had been overwhelmingly rejected by labor groups during the three Labor Summits organized by DOLE in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.
The general consensus, he said, was to eliminate contractualization by junking Department 18-A and ensure fair wages as well as security of tenure.
"Ang gusto namin regular kami sa principal," Adonis told reporters. "Ayaw sa proposal dahil ito ay gusto ng mga kapitalista."
[What we want is workers become regulars with the principal. We don't want this proposal because it is capitalist.]