The ANC Brief: Not done with water concessionaires

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 12 2019 04:00 AM

The Duterte administration isn’t done with water concessionaires just yet. Here are the big stories making the headlines on ANC today: 

Impact on the consumer
Officials of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) canceled the extension of the contracts of 2 Metro Manila water concessionaires. Will it spell doom for the 2 companies? Manila Water president Jose Rene Almendras said their investors had been asking them about the future of the company. But how will the conflict between the water companies and the president impact the consumer?

Insertions again
The Senate and House of Representatives ratified on Wednesday the P4.1 trillion budget and is being readied for the signature of President Rodrigo Duterte. But Sen. Ping Lacson maintained there were insertions in the budget worth some P83 billion. He urged the President to veto the budget.

Windfall
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano had some choice words for critics of the country’s hosting of the 39th Southeast Asian Games. He also said sports should get more funding after the Philippines dominated the Games. Athletes can expect a windfall for their efforts.

Stuck in a moment
During their concert on Wednesday, the band saluted journalists and women who made a difference in the country and around the world. The Palace also responded to Bono’s “soft message” to President Duterte on human rights, saying the government has always upheld human rights in the country.

Global Pinay
Punlaan School continues to produce industry standard scholars whose careers have reached as far as London, Canada, and Dubai. In this way, ANCX finds out, it is transforming the lives of many underprivileged Filipinas.

2019 SEA Games