MANILA - Senator Nancy Binay on Tuesday said she wants to increase the budget for intelligence agencies after the President's son, former Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, was given faulty information about an alleged ouster plot against the President.
Paolo posted on Facebook about a destabilization plan "linking bishops, mutants and fast-food chains" to an ouster plot against Duterte, said Binay.
The list, she said, "reflects the sorry state of state intelligence, and the handicap of our intelligence and counterintelligence structures."
"Naaawa ako doon sa agency na nagbigay ng intel report kay Vice Mayor. Sa tingin ko, kailangan silang tulungan para mai-improve naman ang kanilang level of intel capabilities," she said in a statement.
"Kapag kasama na si Jollibee, McDonald's at mutants sa destabilization plot, it's a cause for alarm. It means our country is already in grave danger," she added.
Binay said she wants to know which agency released the information to the president's eldest son to be able to funnel in more budget "to improve their infrastructure and logistics."
"Pero kung malaki na ang budget nila and their ineptness is obvious, perhaps we need to cut down their budget at ilagay na lang ang pondo sa mas may pakinabang ang taumbayan," she said.
"The information was not accurate nor validated. It’s painfully evident that basic intel is lacking at present," she added.
"The awkward question: Ano ba talaga, kuya? Diliman ba o dilawan? Kasama nga ba si Jollibee, Ronald, Hetti at Padawan?"
The list of individuals and groups allegedly behind a plot to oust the president included Vice President Leni Robredo and other opposition personalities; journalists Maria Ressa, Ellen Tordesillas, and Ed Lingao; former government officials, progressive groups, and a fastfood chain.
Several sectors, however, noted that the list includes one priest, Bishop Julio Labayen, who died even before President Duterte was elected while another priest, retired Bishop Leo Drona, is now sick and wheelchair-bound.
The former Davao vice-mayor, who is running for Congress in the 2019 elections, has since removed the post from his Facebook page.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said Malacañang respects the young Duterte's freedom of expression.
While the Palace previously said all threats to the security of the President are considered a serious matter, the elder Duterte is not asking his security cluster to investigate his son's allegations this time around, said Panelo.
"The president, as a policy, does not talk to the children with respect to their principled positions or political decisions," he told reporters.
"I'm sure the former vice mayor is competent enough to explain his position on the matter,' he added.