Robredo drug war report out next week

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 10 2019 12:08 PM | Updated as of Dec 10 2019 05:58 PM

MANILA -- Vice President Leni Robredo said Tuesday she would release next week her report about the government's anti-narcotics drive, which she led for 18 days before being booted out by President Rodrigo Duterte. 

The report will contain recommendations on how to improve the campaign that has killed thousands of drug addicts, Robredo told reporters. 

President Duterte in November tapped Robredo as co-chair of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs, only to fire her after over two weeks due to various "missteps" including her meeting with United Nation officials who "already pre-judged the war on drugs," said his spokesperson, Salvador Panelo. 

The UN Human Rights Council in July approved a resolution to investigate the anti-narcotics drive. Meanwhile, the International Criminal Court is conducting a preliminary examination of allegations of crimes against humanity. 

The government insisted both groups were biased. 

Robredo pushes for a community-based rehabilitation that treats drug addiction as a public health issue and not a purely law enforcement problem. 

"Kahit tinanggalan ako ng posisyon, hinding-hindi nila kayang tanggalin ang aking determinasyon — determinasyong itigil ang patayan, determinasyong panagutin ang kailangan managot at ipanalo ang kampanya laban sa ilegal na droga," the Vice President said last month. 

(Even if I was removed from my post, they cannot take away my determination — determination to stop the killings, hold accountable those who were responsible and win the fight against illegal drugs.) 

With a report from Raya Capulong, ABS-CBN News