MANILA - A third suspect in the botched bomb attack near the US embassy in Manila last week has been arrested, police said Tuesday.
No other details were immediately available. Authorities will hold a press conference in the arrests on Wednesday, said Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde, Metro Manila police chief.
Two suspects who allegedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State have been arrested for the foiled bomb attack that prompted a closure of Roxas Boulevard and an evacuation of the US Embassy on November 28.
PNP chief Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa said the two suspects, who were arrested in Bulacan with the aid of a tipster, were part of the Ansar Al Khalifa, an alliance of terror groups that include the Maute Group.
The suspects confessed that they planned the attack the area to secure recognition and funding from the ISIS, as well as divert state forces from chasing Maute fighters in Lanao Del Sur, said Dela Rosa.
Dela Rosa said the suspects had three cohorts who have allegedly been summoned by their commanders back to Marawi, Lanao Del Sur.
Dela Rosa said there is "a very slim chance" that the three were still in Metro Manila.
The highest terror alert remains over the entire country.