MANILA - Some 3,000 families lost their homes as Typhoon Tisoy tore through Oriental Mindoro on Tuesday, prompting local government to declare a state of calamity in the province, a disaster official said Thursday.
The country's strongest storm so far this year caused more than half a million damage to the province's agriculture sector, according to provincial disaster office head Vincent Gahol who cited initial reports.
"Sobrang damaged po ang aming agrikultura. Ang pinakamalaki po ay sa palay, tapos 'yung ating high-value crops tulad ng lanzones, saging, niyog at mga gulay…Livestock 'di pa po kasama dun," he told radio DZMM.
"Sa pangunguna ng ating gobernador ay sisikap tayo na bumangon. Nakikipag-ugnayan na po siya sa lahat ng ahensiya ng ating pamahalaan. Sa katunayan po ay may inisyal na siyang pag-uusap sa PCSO para sa mga housing projects ho."
The town of Nawhan was hardest hit, Gahol said, and power has yet to be restored in most parts of the province.
The typhoon claimed 2 lives in the province: one person was killed after being pinned by a collapsed kitchen roof in Pinamalayan town, while another fell while clearing his backyard in Baco town, where Tisoy made its fourth and last landfall on Tuesday afternoon.
The storm, which disrupted the country's hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian Games, is forecast to leave the Philippine area of responsibility on Thursday morning.