MANILA - More areas were placed under wind signal number 2 Sunday, as typhoon Tisoy (Kammuri) maintained its strength, threatening the country's hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian Games, the weather bureau said.
The Games formally opened last Saturday and will run until Dec. 11. The events are being played in Manila, New Clark City in Tarlac, and Subic.
PAGASA said intermittent to occasional heavy rains may be expected over Bicol region, Eastern Visayas and Northern Cebu from Sunday night until Monday afternoon.
Tropical cyclone wind signal no. 2, where 61 to 120 kph winds are expected in 24 hours, was hoisted in the following areas:
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- Eastern Samar
- Masbate including Ticao and Burias Islands
- Northern Samar
- Southern Quezon (Tagkawayan, Calauag, Guinayangan, Lopez, Buenvista, Catanauan, Mulanay, San Narciso, San Andres and San Francisco)
The following areas were, meanwhile, placed under signal no. 1, where 30 to 60 kph winds would prevail in 36 hours:
- Calamian Islands
- Cebu (Balamban, Toledo City, Pinamungahan, Aloguinsan, Naga City, Talisay City, Cordova, Minglanilla, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, Cebu City, Consolacion, Liloan, Compostela, Danao City, Daanbantayan, Bantayan, Madridejos, Santa Fe, Medellin, Bogo City, San Remigio, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Borbon, Sogod, Catmon, and Asturias)
- Dinagat Islands
- Metro Manila
- Mountain Province
- northern portion of Negros Occidental (Bacolod City, Bago City, Cadiz City, Calatrava, Enrique B. Magalona, Escalante City, La Carlota City, Manapla, Murcia, Pulupandan, Sagay City, Salvador Benedicto, San Carlos City, San Enrique, Silay City, Talisay City, Toboso, Valladolid, Victorias City)
- Nueva Ecija
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Occidental Mindoro
- Oriental Mindoro
- Siargao Island
- Southern Isabela (Palanan, Dinapique, San Mariano, San Guillermo, Benito Soliven, Naguilian, Reina Mercedes, Luna, Aurora, Cabatuan, San Mateo, Cauayan City, Alicia, Angadanan, Ramon, San Isidro, Echague, Cordon, Santiago City, Jones and San Agustin)
- Southern Leyte
- the rest of Quezon including Polillo Islands
Tisoy could hit Bicol by late Monday or early Tuesday, the PAGASA said.
There will be "frequent to continuous heavy rains" over Bicol region, southern Quezon and Marinduque from Monday afternoon to Tuesday noon.
Occasional heavy rains will, meanwhile, prevail over Northern Samar, Romblon, Batangas, Mindoro Provinces, and the rest of Quezon, PAGASA added.
The weather bureau also warned of life-threatening storm surge with a height of up to 3 meters in storm surge prone areas of Camarines Sur, Quezon and Samar.
As of 10 p.m., the typhoon was last seen 500 kilometers east of Virac town, Catanduanes, moving west at 20 kph with maximum winds of 140 kph and gusts of up to 170 kph.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for the latest weather updates.