MANILA - There is no reason to raise the terror alert level in the Philippines despite the recent bombing attempt in Manila, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said Thursday.
Philippine National Police Chief, Director General Ronaldo "Bato" Dela Rosa announced that the terror alert in the country had been raised to level 3, supposedly the highest, after suspected terrorists left a bomb nearby the US embassy in Manila.
AFP spokesperson Brigadier General Restituto Padilla, however, said they have yet to receive any information that would require raising alert levels.
He said the AFP, which has a different alert system from the PNP, remains on white alert because the police have the situation under control especially since the bombing attempt was foiled.
White alert is the lowest on the AFP scale and the default for normal situations. It is only raised to blue and red whenever there are threats.
"In light of recent incident, our assessment indicates na hindi pa ito dahilan para itaas ang alerto," Padilla said.
[In light of the recent incident, our assessment indicates that this is no reason to raise the alert level.]
He reiterated, however, the need to remain vigilant especially with the government's ongoing campaign against terrorism.