The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is contemplating filing charges against the Philippine National Police (PNP) over PNP chief Ronald Dela Rosa's statements in the kidnapping of a South Korean businessman that allegedly maligned the reputation of the agency.
NBI Director Dante Gierran referred to the statements made by PNP chief Ronald Dela Rosa implicating several NBI agents in the kidnap-for-ransom case of Lee Jung Dae.
Gierran said the agency, including its agents, "adhere to a high standards of ethics with stringent policies and procedures in the conduct of operations."
He said there was no NBI operation conducted in Angeles, Pampanga when Lee was abducted from his house last Nov. 24. This is based on a report from NBI - Central Luzon Regional Office that holds jurisdiction over Angeles, Pampanga wherein all of its agents were all accounted for.
This is not the first time, Gierran said, the PNP has implicated them.
Last year, the police also linked 3 NBI officials in the abduction of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo who were later exonerated by a panel of prosecutors from the Department of Justice.
Gierran has formed a team to investigate the allegations made by Dela Rosa.
Meanwhile, Senior Supt. Glenn Dumlao, director of PNP's Anti-Kidnapping Group, is defending Dela Rosa.
He said the statements made by the PNP chief came from the judicial confession of Kim Min Kwan, one of the three Korean nationals who were arrested by police.
"Hindi kami gumagawa. We are just stating the facts," Dumlao said, adding NBI should instead come forward and help in the investigation.
"Kung sila ay anghel lahat, the more dapat na they come forward. Pumunta sila dito, dalhin ang mga taong ito,” he said.
Dela Rosa, Dumlao said, was even cautious not to implicate the entire NBI in the allegations.
"Ang sinasabi niya alleged NBI agents at hindi namin gawa-gawa na may kidnapping. Sana naman let's put everything in proper perspective. Don’t take it against us," he said.