No compelling reason to suspend writ of habeas corpus: Palace

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 28 2016 04:43 PM

Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar. Toto Lozano, Malacanang Photo

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte does not see the need to suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus yet and trusts the Philippine National Police (PNP) in maintaining peace, Malacañang said Monday.

"President Duterte finds no compelling reason to suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus at this point. As a strong advocate of the rule of law, he is fully aware of the limits of presidential powers," Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said in a statement.

Andanar added that Duterte trusts PNP Chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa in maintaining peace and order in the country.

"He (Duterte) knows that General de la Rosa is up to the job and can handle any untoward incident and the over-all situation very well. Given this, President Duterte believes any intervention at his level is unnecessary."

Earlier this month, Duterte said he may be forced to suspend the writ if lawlessness in Mindanao continues.

Presidential Chief Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo on Sunday said the President is considering suspending the writ of habeas corpus given the thousands of government officials involved with illegal drugs.