MANILA - Malacañang on Monday maintained there is no "factual or legal" basis yet for President Rodrigo Duterte to declare a revolutionary government, even as some of his supporters are now gearing up for a rally in Davao City in support of the idea.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said while the administration appreciates the support of the pro-Duterte groups, “I think there’s no factual or legal basis as of now because the President has said that he will consider a revolutionary government if destabilizers will persist in their plan to have him removed from office.”
Roque stressed the government has not seen any threat to Duterte’s presidency or against the stability of government to warrant the declaration of a revolutionary government.
“The President enjoys 80 percent approval rating; he was duly elected; he had a margin of 5 million votes from the second highest candidate,” Roque said in a news conference in Davao City.
“So he is the de jure (in law), he is Constitutional; he enjoys tremendous public support; he has the support of Congress. So we see no reason to declare a revolutionary government,” he added.
After floating the idea of setting up a revolutionary government in mid-October, Duterte last week rejected the same.
Duterte floated the idea of setting up a revolutionary government amid alleged destabilization efforts by his political foes, which supposedly included communist rebels, the rich, and even the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
He said he would set up a revolutionary government and declare all positions vacant if the country descends into chaos amid what he believes are efforts by his political enemies to destabilize his administration.
Even the pro-Duterte group Tapang at Malasakit Alliance for the Philippines, founded by Duterte’s daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, has distanced itself from the matter.