MANILA - The Philippines has condemned Friday's terrorist attack at a mosque in Egypt that killed more than 300 people.
"The Philippines strongly condemns this cowardly act perpetrated against our Muslim brothers and sisters in Egypt," Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement released by the Department of Foreign Affairs a few hours after the attack.
Cayetano said attacks on any place of worship "are totally unacceptable".
“The incident in the Northern Sinai today must reinforce the resolve not only of the various governments but also the major faiths around the world to work together and fight these forces of terror,” Secretary Cayetano said.
He said the embassy in Cairo is monitoring the incident. So far, there are no Filipinos reported among the casualties.
According to Ambassador Leslie Baja, the attack took place at the Al-Rawdah mosque in Bir Al-Abed Province, about 300 kilometers northeast of Cairo.
Ambassador Baja said the attack involved at least one suicide bomber and several gunmen who targeted Sufi Muslim worshipers attending Friday afternoon prayers.
Meanwhile, the embassy reminded the 5,183 registered Filipinos of its previous advisories cautioning them from going to the Northern Sinai Region because of the high risk of terrorist attacks.