MANILA – A proposed three-digit number coding scheme will no longer be implemented due to the opposition of Metro Manila mayors.
Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chair Thomas Orbos said the proposed scheme initially slated for this Christmas season was blocked by local officials. The alternative, he said, will be to strictly enforce anti-illegal parking regulations, and the closed-door policy for buses plying EDSA.
“The agreement was for us to study it, take a look at its traffic impact and then probably see if this can be implemented in the long term, sometime January next year,” Orbos said.
“But as it [has] been turned down…it may not be implemented even for next year."
In a speech in Congress on Tuesday, Quezon Representative Danilo Suarez pushed for the implementation of a three-digit coding scheme from Mondays to Fridays “in anticipation of the holiday traffic.”
"Before December comes in, the DOTr should have a prescribed schedule of banned vehicles per day. This must be implemented until the end of the Three Kings Day celebration, when we will revert to the 2-digit number coding scheme," he said.
The transportation department had earlier removed the window hours for the number coding scheme. –with a report from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News