MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday backtracked on his earlier threat to establish a revolutionary government, saying he would pursue other tactics to go after forces out to destabilize his administration.
Duterte last month threatened to set up a revolutionary government amid alleged destabilization efforts by his political enemies. But in a speech in Taguig City on Tuesday, Duterte took back his threat.
“Ang sabi nilang revolutionary government, coup d’état, ‘wag ninyong intindi ‘yan, malayo ‘yan,” Duterte said.
“Me? I build a nation. If the Armed Forces cooperates with me, if this is something there is good in it, fine. We can work together.”
Duterte believes there is no need for him to declare a revolutionary government to go after people who threaten to destabilize the government.
“Hindi ako mag-martial law. Hindi ako mag-revolutionary government. I will just go out and arrest them,” he said.
“If there is no law, kasi wala naman ngayong Anti-Subversion Law, then I will detain them for a number of hours and arrest them again the following day for a number of hours, until we get what we have.”
Duterte first floated the idea of setting up a revolutionary government last month amid alleged destabilization efforts by his enemies, which supposedly included communist rebels, the rich, and even the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
He then said he would set up a revolutionary government and declare all positions vacant if the country descends into chaos amid what he believes are efforts by his political enemies to destabilize his administration.
United States Ambassador Sung Kim has since denied Duterte's allegations that the CIA was behind efforts to oust the chief executive.
Some senators, particularly those who are members of cause-oriented group Tindig Pilipinas, also criticized Duterte's pronouncements, saying only a "paranoid and insecure little man" would feel the need to declare a revolutionary government.