MANILA (UPDATE) - Typhoon Ramon slowed down as it approached the Babuyan Group of Islands where it is set to make landfall Tuesday, state weather bureau PAGASA said.
As of 10 a.m., Ramon was last spotted 120 kilometers east of Calayan, Cagayan, moving "almost stationary" and packing maximum winds of 120 km per hour with gusts of up to 165 kph.
Tropical cyclone wind signals remain hoisted over the following areas:
• Signal number 3, where wind speeds of 121 to 170 kph may be experienced within 18 hours:
- Northern portion of Cagayan (Santa Praxedes, Claveria, Sanchez Mira, Pamplona, Abulug, Ballesteros, Aparri, Calayan, Camalaniugan, Buguey, Santa Teresita, Gonzaga, and Santa Ana)
• Signal number 2, where wind speeds of 61 to 120 kph may be experienced within 24 hours:
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- The rest of Cagayan
• Signal number 1, where wind speeds of 30 to 60 kph may be experienced within 36 hours:
- Northern portion of Isabela (Sta. Maria, San Pablo, Maconacon, Cabagan, Sto. Tomas, Quezon, Delfin Albano, Tumauini, Divilacan, Quirino, Roxas, Mallig, San Manuel, Burgos, Gamu and Ilagan City)
- La Union
- Mountain Province
The typhoon is expected to weaken following its landfall on Tuesday afternoon or evening due to land interaction and the northeast monsoon or "amihan," PAGASA said.
It will, however, bring moderate with frequent heavy rains over Batanes, the northern portion of Cagayan including the Babuyan Islands, Apayao and the northern portion of Ilocos Norte.
Light to moderate with intermittent heavy rains are expected over the northern portion of Isabela, Kalinga, Abra and the rest of Cagayan and Ilocos Sur.
PAGASA warned fishermen that sea travel is risky over the seaboards of areas under tropical cyclone wind signals, the seaboard of southern Isabela, and the western seaboard of Zambales and Bataan.
Ramon is forecast to leave the Philippine area of responsibility on Thursday, PAGASA said.
Meanwhile, the low pressure-area spotted 720 km east of Guiuan, Eastern Samar is forecast to develop into a tropical depression within 24 hours, it added.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for the latest weather updates.