'Blitzkrieg Marcos burial shows mark of a thief'

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 18 2016 12:00 PM | Updated as of Nov 18 2016 12:10 PM

President Ferdinand Marcos holds a press conference 24 February 1986 in Manila at Malacanang Presidential Palace that the country is in state of emergency an that he would take over public utilities including television and radio stations. AFP Photo / Toledo

The surprise burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the heroes' cemetery 10 days after the Supreme Court's ruling shows all the marks of a thief, a party-list lawmaker said Friday.

"It was a blitzkrieg," Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate in reaction to news of the surprise burial.

The lawmaker, a member of the Makabayan bloc that filed a House resolution to stop the burial, said authorities used diversionary tactics - including news of a possible "pa-siyam" - to stop Marcos critics from finding out about the burial.

Zarate said the surprise burial disrespects due process rights of anti-Marcos petitioners set to question the Supreme Court ruling allowing Marcos' burial in the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

The Supreme Court on Nov.8 ruled that there was no basis to stop Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, which had been given the greenlight by President Rodrigo Duterte.

Zarate said pushing through with the burial would mean the filing of an MR would be moot and academic. "That was their plan all along," he said.

In the end, he said the Marcos burial - done ahead of the filing of an MR - shows all the markings of a thief. "Sa kahuli-hulihang pagkakataon, ang magiging tatak ng Marcos ay magnanakaw pa rin," he said.

A police official earlier confirmed Marcos will be buried in simple rites at the LNMB at noon Friday.

A DZMM report said police barred media from entering the heroes' cemetery during the rites for the late dictator.

The Marcos Burial Shuffle