Ex-chief justice Bersamin receiving threats: SC

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 13 2019 03:34 PM

MANILA - The Supreme Court (SC) is providing security escorts to retired Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin following reports he has been receiving threats, its spokesman said Wednesday.

SC spokesperson Brian Hosaka said he learned of the threats when he briefly talked to Bersamin at an event at the University of the East, Tuesday.

"He was his normal self-confident self. I guess coming from a political family, they have encountered this scenario before and they would know how to handle it," he said.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, meantime, said the National Bureau of Investigation would help if Bersamin needs protection or if he would like to look into the threat.

The 70-year-old retired top magistrate had the threats documented at the Quezon City Police District, according to a report by the Philippine Star.

The latest threat occurred Sunday when Bersamin was on his way home and his bodyguards noticed 2 men aboard a motorcycle following his vehicle along Quezon Avenue.

Bersamin retired just last month.

The Philippine Judges’ Association earlier called for the creation of a Philippine marshals system for the protection of members of the judiciary.

--With reports from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News