MANILA—President Rodrigo Duterte will no longer take a 3-day break, Malacañang said Monday.
"The President has declined the suggestion of well-meaning friends to have a rest for a few days," presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
In a press briefing Monday afternoon, he earlier said the Chief Executive would take a rest because Duterte felt overworked and lacked sleep.
Duterte will fly to Davao City Monday night after attending the wake of John Gokongwei Jr. at the Heritage Park in Taguig City.
"[He] will continue working at his residence there," Panelo said.
He added, "While the demands of pressing work that go along with the highest position of the land are unceasing, the people can rest assured that the President can keep up with the same and is in the best position to know how he can maintain to be on top of his health."
Panelo earlier said Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea would be the government's caretaker while the President was supposed to be resting.
In a separate interview, Sen. Bong Go said Duterte had been planning to take a week-long break following his trip to Thailand for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit.
He also assured the public there is nothing to worry about the President's health.
"Normal lang niyang ginagawa. Tao lang po ang ating Pangulo, mas komportable po siya sa Davao," he added.