MANILA - Former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon denied claims that he was not reporting for duty as new chief of the Bureau of Corrections, stressing there had been no official appointment to begin with.
In a statement released Monday, Faeldon emphasized that Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra's announcement last October 12 was just a "proposed appointment," and that only Malacañang issues official appointments.
"To begin with, there was/is no appointment to speak of. In fact the DOJ Secretary himself was quite clear when he stated last October 12, 2018, that there was only a proposed appointment and not an actual or official appointment," he said.
"In all of my public positions, I have no record at all of being a 'no-show,' much less being a delinquent as I am now being unfairly labeled," said Faeldon who was also appointed to the Office of Civil Defense after serving the Bureau of Customs.
The head position at the Bureau of Corrections has been vacated after its former chief, former national police chief Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa, resigned so he can run for senator in the 2019 polls.
It was Guevarra who said last week that Faeldon "has not shown up or said anything" after he announced the "proposed appointment" last month.
The Justice Secretary confirmed that Faeldon's appointment is still being processed but said he "finds it curious" that the former Customs chief has not spoken up about the matter.
"Faeldon can't assume the post while his appointment is still pending. I just find it curious that he has not said anything about the President's desire to appoint him/ I suppose he's just being prudent; maybe just waiting for the appointment process to be completed," said Guevarra.
The Justice Secretary has appointed Assistant Secretary Melvin Buenafe as officer-in-charge of the BuCor. But he said Buenafe only has limited authority, thus the need for a new BuCot head. --report from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News