New BuCor chief Faeldon yet to report for work since appointment, says Guevarra

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 09 2018 03:09 PM

New Bureau of Corrections chief Nicanor Faeldon. ABS-CBN News file


MANILA- New Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director General Nicanor Faeldon has not reported for work since his appointment last month, Justice Chief Menardo Guevarra said Friday.

"He (Faeldon) has not shown up or said anything," Guevarra told reporters.

Without a director, Guevarra said the BuCor cannot function "very normally" as "an OIC (officer-in-charge) merely performs day-to-day functions." 

Important contracts and documents are also left hanging since only a director can sign these, he added.

Guevarra said he has informed Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on the matter and was given the assurance that it would be brought up to President Rodrigo Duterte.

Faeldon was appointed head of the BuCor last month, replacing Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa who is running for senator in the 2019 midterm elections.

Prior to his appointment at the BuCor, Faeldon was deputy administrator of the Office of Civil Defense, and chief of the Bureau of Customs where he faced corruption allegations. He has repeatedly denied all these allegations.

-report from Dexter Ganibe and Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News