Imelda Marcos to appeal graft conviction

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 09 2018 05:14 PM | Updated as of Nov 09 2018 10:54 PM

 

MANILA - Former First Lady and Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos on Friday said her counsel intends to appeal the Sandiganbayan 5th Division's decision which found her guilty in 7 counts of graft for using her Cabinet position to maintain Swiss bank accounts during the Marcos regime.

"Justice Lolong Lazaro, who has previously appeared as counsel in this case, will act as my counsel in the interim. He is presently studying the decision and has advised us that he intends to file a Motion for Reconsideration," Marcos said in a statement, issued by the office of her daughter Imee. 

The lawmaker said Lazaro will temporarily replace her attorney of record, lawyer Robert Sison who "has been indisposed and is presently confined at the Asian Hospital. 

With her conviction, Marcos is sentenced to imprisonment of 6 years and 1 month to 11 years for each of the 7 counts, with perpetual disqualification from public office. 

The court also ordered for the issuance of arrest warrants against the 89-year old lawmaker.

The Marcos family’s ill-gotten wealth “is estimated between US$5 billion to US$10 billion, the bulk of it being deposited and hidden abroad,” according to the Philippine Commission on Good Government (PCGG).

The government has recovered a total of P170 billion in the past 30 years.

- with a report from Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News