Lani 'anxious, excited' as Sandiganbayan set to decide on Revilla plunder case

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 08 2018 06:04 PM | Updated as of Nov 08 2018 07:40 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - The Sandiganbayan is set to promulgate its decision on the plunder case of former senator Bong Revilla on Dec.7.

The verdict, to be released by the anti-graft court's first division, is in connection with Revilla's P224 million plunder case for the alleged misuse of his Priority Development Assistance Funds (PDAF).

The former action star, still detained at Camp Crame, has repeatedly denied allegations that he misused his discretionary funds.

Bacoor City Mayor Lani Mercado Revilla said they are praying for a positive outcome of her husband's trial.

“We ask for continuous prayers for an acquittal. Ipagdasal po natin na mangibabaw ang katotohanan at katarungan,” Mercado Revilla said in a statement.

Mercado Revilla said her family has mixed emotions as the case is about to come to an end.

“We are both anxious and excited at the same time. After 4 years and 6 months, we are finally here," Mercado Revilla said.

One of Revilla's lawyers, Atty. Ramon Esguerra, also expressed hope that the case will be decided to their favor.

“We have lifted up the case against the former senator to the good Lord ever since. We rely more in His perfect justice but we are hoping for a favorable outcome,” Esguerra said in a statement.

Esguerra also reiterated the innocence of Revilla who is being accused by the Office of the Ombudsman of pocketing P224.5 million pesos from his PDAF projects involving Janet Lim Napoles.

“We cannot be that confident though we maintain and believe in the innocence of the former Senator. We cannot talk of contingency plans as of yet but legal remedies are available,” Esguerra said.

Aside from Revilla, former senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada are also facing plunder charges for their alleged involvement in the PDAF scam.

Revilla’s case is the first to be decided by the Sandiganbayan among the PDAF scam cases filed by the Office of the Ombudsman since June 2014.

While Revilla remains in detention, Enrile and Estrada have since been released for different reasons. The 94-year-old Enrile was released due to humanitarian reasons while Estrada has been out on bail since last year.

The three former lawmakers are all seeking to return to the Senate in next year's midterm elections..

- Report from Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News