MANILA -- President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said he would "object" to the renewal of ABS-CBN Corp's franchise, which will expire in 2020.
The President renewed allegations from the 2016 campaign that the network did not air an ad that he paid for and instead showed a TV spot that was critical of him and was paid by his critic, Sen. Antonio Trillanes.
“Hindi ko palusutin. Iyong franchise niyo matatapos. But let me ask you questions first. Kasi ako talaga mag-object na ma-renew kayo. Alam mo bakit? Magnanakaw kayo, estapador,” Duterte said.
(I will not let that pass. Your franchise will end. But let me ask you questions first, because I will really object to the renewal. You know why? You are thieves.)
The President mentioned ABS-CBN during a speech in Boracay, wherein he distributed land to its original inhabitants, the Ati tribe.
In the same speech, the President also spoke about his stand against casinos in Boracay, which reopened on Oct. 26 after a 6-month cleanup.
Duterte also slammed critics for linking state troops to the death of a human rights lawyer in Negros Occidental last month.
It was not first time that Duterte raised such allegations against ABS-CBN, the Philippines' largest media and entertainment company.
House Bill No. 4349, which seeks to renew ABS-CBN’s franchise for 25 years, is pending in Congress.
Duterte has also spoken against other news outlets that put out stories that are critical of him. News website Rappler battled the revocation of its business papers in court and its reporter was banned from covering him from inside Palace grounds.
News.abs-cbn.com is the official news website of ABS-CBN Corp.