Duterte confirms offering Honasan DICT post

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 08 2018 10:22 PM

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday confirmed that he offered the post of secretary of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to Senator Gregorio Honasan.

Duterte told reporters in Boracay that Honasan has yet to accept his offer.

“I think he’s considering the possibility. Ako naman I invited him. Sabi ko (I said) ’If you are not doing anything and if you will not run again, why don’t you join me in our quest for a better Philippines and a better government?’” Duterte said.

“I’m not sure if he has decided to actually join.”

If he accepts the President’s offer, Honasan will replace DICT acting secretary Eliseo Rio. Honasan’s second term as senator expires in June 2019.

Rio was appointed DICT acting secretary in May this year, replacing Rodolfo Salalima.

Honasan’s possible appointment comes as the DICT is in the thick of preparations for the entry of a third major player in the country’s telecommunications industry.

He would also join the growing number of officials with military backgrounds appointed by the President.

Honasan, a leader of an Armed Forces group that broke away from the Marcos dictatorship, was first elected senator in 1995.

He was part of two failed coup attempts, in August 1987 and December 1989, against the Corazon Aquino administration he helped install.

Last year, he was charged with graft for allegedly disbursing millions of public funds to a non-government organization without following the procurement process.