Petitioners to appeal SC decision on hero's burial for Marcos

Kimberly Jane Tan, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 08 2016 02:34 PM

MANILA - Petitioners will immediately be asking the Supreme Court to reconsider its controversial decision allowing the burial of former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, several lawmakers said Tuesday.

Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman, who had been representing the petitioners before the Supreme Court, said a motion for reconsideration was "in order for a reversal of the majority decision."

"While I respect the decision of the Supreme Court, I am puzzled to no end why the majority of the high court would allow the burial of a judicially and historically confirmed despot, plunderer, and transgressor of human rights in the Libingan ng mga Bayani," he said in a statement.

Lagman's fellow minority lawmakers and co-petitioners Akbayan Party-list Rep. Tom Villarin and Ifugao Teddy Baguilat, Jr. said they were also heartbroken by the decision.

"We will not allow Marcoses to revise history. We will not forget the sacrifices of those who resisted and fought for the freedoms we have today," Villarin said.

"I'm taking a day off from congress as a day of mourning then after that we continue the advocacy against human rights abuses, corruption and authoritarian rule that defined Marcos' martial law," added Baguilat.