90% of Catanduanes' infrastructure damaged by Typhoon Rolly

Neil Jerome Morales, Reuters

Posted at Nov 02 2020 09:57 PM

Brgy. Sipi in Bato town, Catanduanes following Typhoon Rolly's aftermath. Courtesy of Miggy Rodulfo / Radyo Natin Virac

MANILA - Philippine authorities on Monday re-established contact with Catanduanes island province briefly cut off after being hit by the strongest typhoon of the year, as officials said a forcible evacuation effort had averted more deaths than the 20 recorded up to now.

Three people have also been reported missing in provinces south of the main island of Luzon, the disaster agency said, with communications to some regions still down.

Typhoon Rolly (international name Goni), which battered provinces south of the capital Manila, is the 18th to hit the Philippines this year and one of the strongest typhoons since Yolanda (Haiyan) killed more than 6,300 people in 2013.

More than 13,000 homes, some engulfed by an up to five meter (16.4 ft) storm surge, were damaged as Rolly, with wind gusts of up to 310 kph (190 mph), made landfall in Catanduanes on Sunday, provincial governor Joseph Cua told a news conference.

"While there's no more typhoon, we have no air and sea transportation," Cua said, adding that he hoped the country's energy department could help restore power.

Catanduanes and Albay province, south of Luzon, took the brunt of the storm and accounted for all 16 deaths, the disaster agency said.

"We will not allow you to be isolated. We will not let you down," presidential spokesman Harry Roque said.

Roughly 90% of infrastructure in Catanduanes was damaged, government data showed.

Watch more in iWantTFC

Philippine Red Cross chairman and senator Richard Gordon said in a statement "this typhoon has smashed into people's lives and livelihoods on top of the relentless physical, emotional and economic toll of COVID-19."

President Rodrigo Duterte made an aerial inspection of the damage on Monday. Flying from his hometown Davao, he landed in Guinobatan town near the Mayon volcano, the Philippines' most active volcano.

Duterte ordered an investigation into quarrying operations that residents complained had led to the burial of hundreds of homes in volcanic rock and mud flows, presidential aide and senator Christopher Go told reporters.

Officials said the evacuation of more than 345,000 residents had averted more deaths.

"The goal should be zero casualties, but since people were forcibly evacuated our casualties were reduced," Roque said.

Several sea vessels and structures are seen in Gigmoto, Catanduanes following the devastation of Super Typhoon Rolly in the island province. Photo courtesy of Cecilio Hagos, Good Neighbors International Philippines

Rolly hit 2.1 million residents of Luzon, which accounts for more than two-thirds of the economy, leaving more than 50,000 homes without power by Monday.

Strong winds and torrential rain have damaged crops worth P1.1 billion, mainly rice and corn, Agriculture Secretary William Dar said.

Before Rolly hit, the Philippines had been grappling with the impact of Typhoon Quinta, which killed 22 people, most of whom drowned, in provinces south of Manila.

Another storm, Atsani, is gaining strength in the Pacific Ocean as it approaches the Philippines, which usually sees about 20 tropical storms every year.

Vietnam said Rolly is forecast to hit its central coast on Wednesday night, dumping more heavy rain in an area where floods and landslides in the past month have already killed about 160 people, with dozens missing.