Battle of the Bautistas: Ex-poll chief says wife's camp wanted 'plundered money'

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 25 2017 10:18 AM

Resigned poll chief Andres Bautista on Wednesday said he is ready to fight a plunder complaint set to be filed against him, saying his estranged wife wanted money before making her accusations public. 

Speaking to ANC Wednesday, Bautista said he is aware that he will lose immunity from lawsuit after his resignation but said he is ready to answer the accusations of his estranged wife, Patricia Bautista. 

"I am very much aware of [losing immunity]. But as I said there's nothing to hide. I hope they would file the case on the proper forum and not just blabber on in media," he said. 

Bautista called the plunder case "ridiculous" as the camp of his estranged wife was demanding P1.2 billion from him for the separation last year before publicly accusing him of corruption. 

"Basically what they're saying if this is plundered money, they want the plundered money," the ex-Comelec chief said. 

He added that the documents used against him in the allegations were stolen from his home.

A plunder case is currently being prepared by the National Bureau of Investigation against Bautista for allegedly amassing around P1.2 billion in ill-gotten wealth.

Lorna Kapunan, lawyer of Patricia, said the case will also include lawyer Nilo Divina and members of Bautista's family "who made possible stealing from the Filipino people at the very least P1.2 billion."

Bautista earlier announced his retirement effective end of the year. However, President Rodrigo Duterte accepted the resignation but said in the response letter that it is effective immediately.