President Rodrigo Duterte has accepted the resignation of poll chief Andres Bautista effective immediately, contrary to the poll chief's earlier announcement that he will only step down from his post by the end of the year.
In a press conference, Bautista said Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea sent a letter accepting his resignation effectively immediately. He said he only got the letter today.
"Upon the instruction of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, I wish to inform you that your resignation is hereby accepted effective immediately," said the letter signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.
The letter did not specify who will replace Bautista for the meantime. He said the Commission on Elections en banc will discuss this matter tomorrow.
"Ang puno't dulo kung ano man ang pasya ng ating Pangulo ay aking gagalangin. Ito ang kanyang naging tugon sa aking sulat, kung kaya't aking tinatanggap," the Comelec chairman said.
Facing allegations of amassing P1 billion in unexplained wealth, Bautista previously announced that he will resign by December to give time for President Duterte to choose his successor.
However, the response of the Office of the President to his letter says his resignation is effective immediately. This means his resignation will be effective when his office closes today.
The Comelec chief was impeached by lawmakers in the House of Representatives earlier this month, overturning the justice committee's dismissal of the complaint against him.
Bautista became the first official to be impeached under the Duterte administration.
The House justice committee, chaired by Oriental Rep. Reynaldo Umali, was set to discuss the articles of impeachment against Bautista on Tuesday.