MANILA - The driver working for the Trangia family, who supposedly brought Horacio Castillo III to the hospital after the supposed fatal initiation rites, could be made a state witness in the investigation on the law freshman's death, Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri said Monday.
Authorities should locate Romeo Laboga, who Aegis Jvris fraternity member John Paul Solano said drove him and Castillo to the Chinese General Hospital in Manila, as he has been invited to the next Senate hearing, said Zubiri.
"I personally feel for the DOJ to locate this guy and make him the state witness. Why? He’s not a frat member. He has no stake at this. He’s just an employee of the poor guy who ends up bringing a dead body, Atio Castillo, which is a result of a criminal activity, to the hospital," he told ANC's Headstart.
He said he would suggest to the Manila Police District and the Department of Justice to locate Laboga and "invite him to the witness protection program."
Laboga's employers, Rosemarie and Antonio Trangia, were among those sued for the death of 22-year-old Castillo, along with their son, Ralph.
Rosemarie and Ralph flew to Chicago last month, before an immigration lookout bulletin was issued. They returned to Manila on October 10.
Antonio, meanwhile, was involved after it was revealed that the red pick-up that brought Castillo to the hospital was registered under his name.
During the Senate hearing Wednesday last week, the Trangia couple repeatedly invoked their right against self-incrimination, but Antonio said Laboga was with him on the day he was supposed to have driven Solano and Castillo.
However, Zubiri, in the interview said if Laboga attends the next Senate hearing, there are witnesses that can point him out as the driver of the car.