MANILA -- The national government has not requested for foreign aid assistance following the destruction caused by typhoon "Lawin" since there are still enough relief supplies to be given out, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC) Council said.
"So far the local government units and national government still have enough relief supplies to be given to our communities," NDRRMC spokesperson Romina Marasigan told Nancy Irlanda on Dateline Philippines Weekend.
Marasigan, however, said that neighboring countries in Southeast Asia have already showed their intention to help but the government is still conducting a rapid damage assessment of areas affected by "Lawin."
"We will be doing assessment first so we will know exactly what type of aid we will be requesting from foreign counterparts," Marasigan said.
She also clarified that foreign aid will now be coursed through the NDRRMC instead of being directly delivered to LGUs.
The NDRRMC has also confirmed eight reports of death in the Cordillera region which were caused by landslide during the typhoon's onslaught. The council is still verifying 16 casualty reports as of posting time.
"Lawin," which smashed through northern Luzon Wednesday night, is the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year.