MANILA - Temporary shelters for the displaced residents of Marawi City will be ready by December, Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said on Sunday.
Speaking to radio DZMM, Andanar said authorities are currently in the process of clearing the areas inside the war zone to make sure there will be no bombs left when the residents return to their homes.
"Na-clear na 'yung... Almost 100% na e, sa loob ng war zone. Mas madali na nating masuyod 'yung buong Marawi. Rest assured na by December, makaka-deliver na po 'yung daan-daang temporary shelters para sa atring mgha kababayan," he said.
The Palace official said the building of permanent structures for the internally displaced persons will also begin as soon as all the areas in the war-torn city have been cleared.
The government has allotted P5 billion for Marawi just for this year, Andanar said. A separate budget will go to the rehabilitation of the southern city next year.
President Rodrigo Duterte declared the liberation of Marawi last week following the death of terrorists Isnilon Hapilon and Omar Maute inside the battle area.
Andanar said Task Force Bangon Marawi has been discussing rehabilitation plans with the local government and private sector even before the President declared the city's liberation.
The 5-month long war between soldiers and terrorists has left more than 1,000 dead and displaced hundreds of thousands residents from the once-bustling Mindanao city.