MANILA (UPDATE) Tropical storm Pepito has emerged over the West Philippine Sea on Wednesday morning after battering parts of Luzon, the state weather bureau said.
The country's 16th storm this year was last estimated 115 kilometers northwest of Dagupan City, Pangasinan as of 7 a.m., packing maximum winds of up to 75 km per hour and gusts of up to 90 kph, PAGASA said in its latest weather bulletin.
Pepito is forecast to leave the Philippine area of responsibility and gradually intensify into a severe tropical storm over the West Philippine Sea on Thursday if it continues to move west northwest at 30 kph, the state weather bureau added.
On Wednesday, it will bring moderate to heavy rains over Batanes, Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Pangasinan, La Union, Apayao, Benguet, Zambales, Bataan, Occidental Mindoro, and Calamian Islands.
Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon will experience light to moderate downpour.
Tropical cyclone warning signal no. 2 remains hoisted over the following areas, where 61-120 kph winds were expected within 24 hours and may damage wooden and old electric posts:
- La Union
- northern portion of Zambales (Iba, Palauig, Masinloc, Candelaria, Santa Cruz)
- western portion of Pangasinan (Bani, Anda, Bolinao, Agno, Dasol, Burgos, Alaminos City, Mabini, Sual, Infanta, Bugallon, Labrador, Aguilar, Mangatarem, Urbiztondo, Basista, Malasiqui, San Fabian, Pozzorubio, Sison, Laoac, Urdaneta City, Manaoag, San Jacinto, Dagupan City, Mangaldan, Mapandan, Santa Barbara, San Carlos City, Calasiao, Binmaley, Lingayen)
Tropical cyclone warning signal no. 1 is raised over the following areas, where 30-60 kph winds may rip roofs off nipa and cogon huts, damage rice crops and down banana plants:
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- rest of Pangasinan
- western portion of Kalinga (Balbalan, Pasil, Lubuagan, Tinglayan)
- western portion of Mountain Province (Barlig, Sadanga, Bontoc, Sagada, Sabangan, Bauko, Tadian, Besao)
- western portion of Ifugao (Banaue, Hingyon, Kiangan, Tinoc, Hungduan, Asipulo),
- western portion of Nueva Vizcaya (Ambaguio, Kayapa, Aritao, Santa Fe)
- western portion of Nueva Ecija (Carranglan, Lupao, Muñoz City, Santo Domingo, Zaragoza, Aliaga, Licab, Guimba, Talugtug, Quezon, Nampicuan, Cuyapo)
- rest of Zambales
A tropical depression spotted outside PAR, approximately 1,900 km east-northeast of extreme Northern Luzon, remains unlikely to enter the country, PAGASA said.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for updates.