MANILA (UPDATE) — Tropical storm Pepito made landfall over Aurora province Tuesday night, the state weather bureau said.
Pepito made landfall over San Ildefonso peninsula in Casiguran, Aurora at 9 p.m., PAGASA said.
In its 11 p.m. weather bulletin, PAGASA said the country’s 16th storm this year was in the vicinity of Dinalungan, Aurora at 10:00 p.m., packing maximum sustained winds of 70 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 125 kph.
The storm is moving west at 20 kph, and may emerge over the West Philippine Sea Wednesday morning, PAGASA said.
Pepito will bring moderate to heavy rains on Tuesday night until Wednesday morning over Central Luzon, Cordillera Administrative Region, northern Quezon (including Polillo Islands), Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Isabela, mainland Cagayan, La Union, and Pangasinan.
Light to moderate with at times heavy rains, meanwhile, will be experienced over Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon, Western Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, and Bangsamoro.
Tropical cyclone wind signal (TCWS) No. 2 was hoisted over the following areas in Luzon, where 61-120 kph winds were expected within 24 hours and may damage wooden and old electric posts:
- La Union
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Nueva Ecija
- the southern portion of Isabela (Palanan, San Mariano, Benito Soliven, Naguilian, Gamu, Burgos, San Manuel, Aurora, Cabatuan, Luna, Reina Mercedes, Cauayan City, Dinapigue, San Guillermo, Angadanan, Alicia, San Mateo, Ramon, San Isidro, Echague, San Agustin, Jones, Santiago City, Cordon)
- the southern portion of Ilocos Sur (Sugpon, Alilem, Tagudin), the northern portion of Zambales (Iba, Palauig, Masinloc, Candelaria, Santa Cruz, Botolan, Cabangan)
- the northern portion of Bulacan (San Miguel, Doña Remedios Trinidad)
- the northern portion of Pampanga (Candaba, Arayat, Magalang, Mabalacat) - the northern portion of Quezon (General Nakar) including Polillo Islands
The agency raised TCWS No. 1 in the following areas, where 30-60 kph winds may rip roofs off nipa and cogon huts, damage rice crops and down banana plants:
- Mountain Province
- Metro Manila
- the rest of northern portion of Quezon (Infanta, Real)
- the rest of Ilocos Sur
- the rest of Isabela
- the rest of Pampanga
- the rest of Bulacan
- the rest of Zambales
Pepito is forecast to leave the Philippine area of responsibility on Thursday morning or afternoon, according to PAGASA.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather for updates.