Aftershocks continue in Mindanao, 3 days after magnitude-6.3 quake

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 19 2019 08:10 PM | Updated as of Oct 19 2019 09:10 PM

Courtesy of Phivolcs website

MANILA (2nd UPDATE)—A magnitude-4.9 tremor hit Cotabato Saturday night, just one of hundreds of aftershocks — both detectable and not — that have hit southern Mindanao, 3 days after a magnitude-6.3 earthquake jolted the region.

Phivolcs director Renato Solidum said there have been 620 aftershocks recorded there since the Wednesday night quake.

Tulunan town alone was hit with at least 3 aftershocks Saturday — a magnitude-5 in the morning, a 4.1 in the afternoon, followed by the 4.9 tremor.

The last one struck at 7:44 p.m. approximately 22 kilometers (km) southeast of Tulunan with a depth of 29 km.

Intensity 3 was felt in Kidapawan City.

The areas that also experienced instrumental intensities were:

  • Intensity III - Malungon, Sarangani; Koronadal City
  • Intensity II - Tupi, South Cotabato
  • Intensity I - General Santos City

The 6.3-earthquake earlier this week has killed 7 people and left more than 60 injured, officials said.

Solidum said that residents affected by the quake and its aftershocks should have their houses checked by safety engineers before returning to them.

He also warned people who live near elevated areas to be cautious of landslides, given the frequency of aftershocks.

" 'Yung mga may bitak, baka mas lalo pang lumaki dahil sa pag-uga," Solidum told radio DZMM.