More hotels allowed to accept guests on Boracay reopening

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 19 2018 07:44 PM | Updated as of Oct 19 2018 09:46 PM

MANILA - The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Friday released an updated list of Boracay establishments where tourists may stay once the island reopens on October 26.

These establishments complied with government requirements, the DOT said.

The updated list as of October 19 includes 115 establishments or 5,265 rooms, nearly twice the number of establishments on the list released last week (68 establishments, 3,519 rooms).

In August, only 25 establishments and 2,063 rooms were on the list.

The Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force warned the public not to transact with hotels and establishments not on the list.

The public was also advised to regularly check the DOT's Facebook page for regular updates.

The island was closed last April to give way to a massive cleanup and rehabilitation of its roads and sewerage system after President Rodrigo Duterte called the tourist destination a "cesspool."

One of the country's most popular beach destinations, Boracay has been plagued with sewage problems and overcrowding, with hotels and shops violating zoning and environment regulations. 

Only 19,000 tourists will be allowed in Boracay on any given day when the holiday island reopens later this month.

Government will also limit daily tourist entrance to 6,405, which each presumed to stay for only 2 nights and 3 days, Environment Undersecretary Sherwin Rigor said.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat earlier said there would be no Ibiza-like parties on the island, no alcohol and cigarettes in public, and no drugs.