MANILA- Let me finish what I started.
This was the response of former Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay to his sister, reelectionist Makati City Mayor Abby Binay who earlier asked him to give her a chance at the city's top leadership post.
"Sana, patapusin din niya naman ang mga naiwan ko na mga proyekto. It was cut short because of the political squabble that happened," Junjun told ANC's "Headstart" in a taped interview Wednesday.
(I wish she would also let me finish the projects that I started.)
The siblings are going head-to-head for mayor of Makati City in next year's elections, publicizing a rift that has left the political family divided.
Junjun explained that he decided to run for mayor anew due to "public clamor" for the Binay brand of leadership, which he alleges his sister has failed to uphold.
"Na-miss nila yung (they missed the) Binay brand of governance. You know, you go down, you talk to the people, you ask them what they need and then you go back and you have that feedback mechanism," he said.
"This is beyond my father, my mom, my sister Abby and me. We're talking about the people here clamoring for that Binay brand of leadership back in the city hall," he added.
Junjun also suggested that Abby run for a seat in Congress instead, given her experience as a lawmaker.
"She can go back to Congress and she can allow me to finish what's left of 2015," he said, noting that his unfinished term was "too short a time for a good mayor."
Abby earlier said she is seeking re-election with the support of their father, former Vice President Jejomar Binay.
"My father has been trying to convince him (Junjun) not to run. My father has been also consistent in his position, even when it came to everyone else in the family, that Junjun should not run," she said earlier this week.
Junjun, however, insisted that their father opted to remain "neutral" and to leave the decision to the people of Makati City instead.
"Hindi naman ako inawat ng father ko so, I think that was clear na matanda na kami, we can decide for ourselves," Junjun said.
(My father did not stop me so I think it was clear that we are old enough to decide for ourselves.)
"We all tried to fix the situation but moving forward, my father has decided not to get involved in this election," he added.
CAN HE RUN?
Asked on whether he is still eligible to run for public office, Junjun maintained that his disqualification from seeking election is not yet final and executory.
It can be recalled that he was ordered dismissed by the Ombudsman in 2015.
Documents acquired by ABS-CBN News also show that Junjun is among people perpetually disqualified from public office in connection with the construction of the P1.3 billion Makati Science High School building. This was confirmed by the city director of the Department of the Interior and Local Government.
"If the decision is not yet final and executory, then you are still presumed innocent then therefore I could still run," he said.
"Malinaw dito (what's clear) is I can run for any elective post," he added.
As the campaign season begins, Junjun asked his sister Abby to just let the people of Makati decide who they want to elect as mayor.
"Let's just have a fair fight. Bayaan natin na mamili yung mga taga-Makati," he said.
(Let the people of Makati decide.)
"If she says give me a chance, I say let's give the people a chance to choose kung sino ba talaga sa aming dalawa ang gusto nilang mamuno," he added.
(Let's give the people a chance to choose who they want between us to lead.)